Army toys, also known as military toys, have been in existence for a long time, Nevertheless they became more popular during the 18th century, after manufacturers got inspired by Frederick the Great’s military exploits.
Between the 17th and 19th centuries troops and military strategists heavily relied on these figures to plan battle tactics. Military toys were used to represent real soldiers on the battlefield, and establish positions for them. The first army soldier toy was made in America by Beton in 1937.
Airfix was the first producer to make military soldier toys in Great Britain in 1946. Since then, more manufacturers have joined the industry and started producing a variety of war toys.
What Are Army Toys Called?
There’s a wide variety of military toys. However, the army men toys are the most popular of them all, and they go by a variety of names including tin soldiers, plastic soldiers, model soldiers, and green army men, among other names.
In most cases, these toy soldiers are about 2 inches long, and they are molded in relatively tough olive-green plastic. You can always purchase toy army men in the supermarket, but they are more readily available in bulk packaging at discount stores for relatively lower prices.
What are puppet soldiers?
Puppet army toys mainly come in the form of puppet army men. They are basically an imitation of the militia, except they have to be animated/manipulated by a puppeteer, the person who operates a puppet. The puppeteer moves puppets either by using their hand or by pulling strings.
They are great for children to play with as they teach them role-playing skills while allowing them to explore their imagination, a wide array of personalities, and even new ideas. It is a great way to help children become more creative and develop their communication and social skills.
Also, it allows children to interact with the feelings of other characters, thus training them on emotional intelligence and vital social behaviors from a young age. It is important to introduce children to puppets because it is a great tool to sharpen their young minds and allow them to play out more scenarios as their minds develop. Besides, puppets have a good visual representation during storytelling, when singing, or dancing.
What substances are used to make Army toys?
A number of substances are used to manufacture them, although metal and plastic are the most widely used. Metallic toys, for example, are normally made of such materials as tin, pewter, lead, among other metals.
Lead, however, has been banned from making toys since 1966, as such most metallic armed forces simulations are made from tin, which is a non-toxic metal. Furthermore, It is important to note that metal military toys generally have a much higher price tag compared to those made from other materials, and they are recommended for kids over 14 years.
As such, they have a better finishing and make a better display on supermarket shelves.Plastic toys, on the other hand, are much cheaper and overall give a more rugged appearance. However, plastic toys and the quality differ from one manufacturer to the next. A figure’s vintage also determines the quality of its make.
How to choose the right model-sized Army toys for your child?
When it comes to children, toys are their number one playmate, and as parents it is our responsibility to ensure that we practice utmost care when purchasing their toys. Doing so we will buy appropriate toys that are not only suitable for our kids, but safe as well. If you are buying your child model combat figures, there are a few things to consider. These include: age, durability, safety, and material used to make the toy.
How old is your child: Different toys are appropriate for children of varying age groups. As such, it is important to consider your child’s age before buying toys for them to ensure it is appropriate and safe for their age.
Longevity: A toy’s quality depends on the materials used to make it. Higher quality toys last longer than their lower quality counterparts. Before investing in Army toys, you should consider its material and cleanability.
Reliability: Kids below 5 years can be quite clumsy when playing, as such, it is vital to consider the safety of a toy before buying it for your child. Always ensure that the toys you purchase, especially for kids below 5 years, are safe to use even with minimal or no supervision. It is vital that you steer away from purchasing electric toys, shooting toys, and any UL-unapproved toys.
Materials: When considering toys for your child, ensure to check for the non-toxic label. Rubber and synthetic materials make the safest play soldiers for your child, but unlike pewter, tin, lead, and plastic, they are very hard to find.
Top 10 Army Toys For Kids
#1. Camouflage Military Army Truck Play Tent
This is a wonderful play kit for kids. With this tent, children can devise their own missions and create a lot of fun memories. Camouflage tents are easy to set up, and they can be used both indoors and outdoors. A creative session with this military tent helps develop your child’s imagination and creates room for self-exploration and expression.
- See-through mesh windows
- It help children further develop their motor skills
- great tool for enhancing imagination in children
- It has a back entrance door
- This army toys allows children more freedom to practice unstructured play
- Super easy to set up
If not cautious, the tent can spring open unexpectedly
#2. Kids Army Camouflage Vest
This lightweight kids’ military camouflage assault vest comes with adjustable mesh straps. It comes with many pockets for ample storage of army gear, which leaves a lot of room for imagination. Indoor and outdoor playdates are ideal with it. This combat vest is highly adjustable, making it suitable for kids between 5 and 13 years old.
- It is one of the most versatile army toys to own
- It is highly breathable and comfortable
- It is made from high-quality nylon, which makes it very strong and durable
- Suitable for both summer and winter
- It is appropriate for hunting, tactical training, CS games, and shooting training
- When purchased online, the color in the photo may differ considerably. It is advisable to exercise caution with online purchases.
#3. Army Walkie Talkies with Belt Clip
There’s a wide array of military walkie talkies including camouflaged ones. They are mostly suitable for kids over the age of 5 years. They provide a full scope of functions and easy operation.
Army Toys Walkie Talkies are great for role-play and developing imagination in children. While your child can use them while playing military roles at home, they can come in handy during camping activities, to maintain proper communication even in areas with less network connectivity.
- Enhances effective communication
- Great sound quality
- Ideal for children over 5 years
- Makes an ideal gift
- It is great for facilitating communication
- May be quite heavy for younger children
#4. Rainbow Toyfrog Army Men Play Bucket Soldiers
This kind of army toys play kit contains over 300 assorted toy soldiers in a variety of combat positions. It features American, German, and British army men, with each soldier measuring about 1.75 inches. Besides play dates, the kit can effectively aid in class projects, history lessons, and dioramas.
- Strong and long-lasting
- Great for cultivating creativity and imagination
- Creates room to develop interest for history
- They are many in the pack
- The pack offers value for money
- The soldiers are quite tiny, thus unsafe for they youngers kids
- The soldiers may lack highly detailed features
#5. BMC Toys WW2 Army Men Playset
This military toy set contains 40 army men including 10 German soldiers in gray, 12 Czech hedgehogs, 14 US GIs in police, a German pillbox bunker, a Higgins Boat, and another 2 toys. It is a diverse toy set, which makes it highly suitable for teaching history. It is also highly fun.
- Made from strong and highly durable material
- It is ideal play kit to help children understand more about the army and the history of World War
- The soldiers are in multiple positions, which creates room for improved imagination
- They create a dynamic environment that boosts critical thinking and strategy formulation
- These army toys desensitizes children to the harms of violent behaviors
#6. BMC Sherman Tank Plastic Toy
It is from the BMC toys American Heroes Collector Series. It comes with numerous authentic details and sturdy structure. The tank, which measures 7.5 x 3.5 x 3.75 inches tall and scaled at 1:32nd (54mm), is designed with tough and highly durable dark green polypropylene plastic.
- Made from strong and sturdy material, which makes it durable and suitable for heavy-duty tasks
- Since it’s made from plastic it is rust resistant, which makes its safe for younger kids
- It makes a thoughtful and unique gift
- The turret rotates at 330 degrees
- It makes a great collectable and ideal for internal decor
- Comes in 2 different designs
- Recoil effect feature
- The battery compartment is quite difficult to open
#7. Military AK-47 Combat Gun
This 21 inch AK-47 toy gun is the perfect machine gun toy for your little soldier. It is battery powered and makes exciting shooting sounds coupled with flashing LED lights. It is one of the few army toys that come with a removable magazine to give it more action-packed fun.
- Strong and durable
- Looks exactly like the real AK47
- Safe for young children
- It is the ideal toy for training young boys and girls about combat
- Suitable for kids over the age of 5
- It is a highly technical toy gun, which makes it more fun, and educative at the same time
- Makes accurate machine gun sounds upon firing
- Younger children may find it a bit heavy
#8. Army Lorry Truck Toy
Today, more people are getting into the art of creating their own vintage military trucks and making a collection of these special army toys. When displayed in the home, the collection makes a good conversation starter especially with visitors. Also, it is amazing to look at because it is designed to look exactly like the real army truck model, except in a smaller scale. Designers and manufacturers need to be aptly skilled to make these trucks worthwhile in the eyes of collectors. They are a great play tool for kids as well.
- Made from strong and durable plastic material
- Lightweight, which makes it ideal for kids’ play sessions
- Idea gift idea for kids and collectors
- Ideal for 3-year-olds and above
- It does not have removable parts, thus it is safe for younger kids
- May have a light plastic smell
#9. Giggles Free Wheel Army Jeep Toy- Green
This kind of special army toys such as military jeep is made from high-quality plastic material, making it very sturdy and durable. It comes with a compact steering wheel and mobile wheels to give children an interactive playing experience. As such, it is an ideal army toy for toddlers as well as bigger kids. It provides them with an interactive environment that promotes your child’s imagination, as well as nurture their hand to eye coordination, motor skills, cognitive skills, and sensory skills.
- It is made of a durable and high-quality plastic
- A child of any age can use it safely
- Suitable for parent-child activities
- It is versatile, suitable for kinds of games
- Ideal gift for adults and children alike
- When new, the smell of plastic could be quite irritating
#10. Binoculars for Kids in the Army Style by VGRASSP
These military style binoculars are a great choice to spike kids’ interest in astronomy, animal and bird safari, and hiking, among other activities. It is a great choice for exciting activities as well as educational purposes, which makes it an ideal gift for kids as well as adults.
- Realistic details
- Strong and long-lasting
- Ideal for kids over 3 years old
- Makes an ideal gift
- This army toys from safe plastic material
- Ideal for the outdoors, especially when traveling
- Although they are real, they are a far comparison to actual scientific binoculars
Your child’s toys collection would be incomplete without army toys. They bring them a chance for great, interesting experiences while allowing them to develop their creative abilities. When purchasing military toys, it is important to observe keenness on the quality of material used to make them as well as the safety of the toys depending on the age of your child. It is vital that you exercise safety to avoid unnecessary accidents and protect your child.
Q. Are there companies still making toy soldiers?
Yes. There are manufacturers who are still making toy soldiers.
Q. Are army toys ideal for kids?
Yes. When parents provide proper guidance, playing with military toys provides a great experience for kids and immense education value.
Q. Do army men come in other colors?
In honor of U.S. soldiers in World War II, green is the predominant color
Q. Are Army Toys safe?
Yes, depending on the material used to make them and parental supervision offered to kids below 5 years old.
Q. Which is the best way to clean my toy militias?
It is advisable to use a damp cloth and soap solution.
Q. Do Army toys legitimize violence in children?
It is possible. It is advisable that parents offer guidance to avoid enabling violent behavior in kids.